Saturday, April 12, 2008

Plus ONE...yayy.

This is an essay I wrote like...three years ago?

It reminisces on one of my favorite memories.

I would just like to preface this by saying that I was 12 and I was very ignorant because I was homeschooled (HAHA). You should not give out your phone number to strangers online. That's scary.


Believing the unbelievable, conceiving the inconceivable, or something unimaginable ever happening to me, seemed as far away as getting my first padded bra. Of course, what a twelve-year-old teeny bopper believes is unimaginable, probably isn’t all that extraordinary at all. I had just made the switch from Barbie’s to boy bands, and had devoted my full attention to the Christian boy band, Plus ONE. I had seen them in concert numerous times, knew every lyric, knew all the band members’ birthdays, siblings, and even what they ordered at, the fast food restaurant, Taco Bell. By the time I had reached the age of eleven, I was completely convinced that one of the band members, Nate Cole, was going to marry me. The band sang feel-good songs about God and faith. Faith was always important to me. Little did I know that my faith was about to be tested.
Lonely, tired and bored to tears, I stared absentmindedly at my reflection in the sliding glass door. My green eyes, accented with my mom’s mascara, stared back, and my curls, awkwardly placed throughout my head, gently caressed the rebellious skin of a preteen. My younger sister, Brigette, stared at our computer screen. She was waiting for someone to sign onto the Plus ONE chat room to cure her from this obscene boredom.
It was late, and we were home alone.
“Hey, someone signed on!” Brigette said happily. I walked over to her.
“Dawang?” I asked, reading the screen. “What a weird screen name.”
I was on and off on the conversation between my sister and this “Dawang” character. They talked about their favorite band members and other subjects. The conversation went on for quite sometime when suddenly “Dawang” typed into the computer that Gabe, a member from the band, was coming onto the chat room. My sister and I laughed.
“Yeah, right.” I snickered.
However, almost momentarily a “Guest” signed onto the chat room.
“Guest” and “Dawang” then proceeded to try to convince my sister that they were Jeremy and Gabe, both members of the band. I wasn’t convinced at all. I just knew that they were two girls trying to mess with our minds.
“Guest” and “Dawang” told my sister to ask them any question. My sister did, and they got them right.
My sister looked up at me with her big brown eyes. “Shara, what if it really is them?”
I couldn’t believe my sister was falling for this.
“Brigette, come on, it’s not them.” I insisted. “They’re just two girls!”
I could tell my sister didn’t agree with me.
Finally, “Guest” typed into the chat room, “What can we do to convince you that it’s us?”
My sister was about to type something when I got an idea.
“Call me,” I typed into the computer. I just knew that the liars would fess up now not wanting to actually call my sister.
However, the response was quite the contrary to what I expected.
“Ok,” “Guest” typed in.
My sister was hysterical.
“It just can’t be them.” I muttered.
The phone rang. My sister ran into the kitchen. The silence that once engulfed our little house in Cocoa Beach was interrupted by piercing screams. I ran to another phone. There, on the other end of the phone line was a member of the band laughing hysterically at my sister’s and my reaction. We talked for hours.
Thinking that things that seem beyond our wildest dreams could ever come true proves very difficult to do. How many times a day do people say, “That’s impossible!” or “No way that could never happen!”? I had such a hard time believing that “Dawang” and “Guest” were actually members of the band. It seemed surreal. However, sometimes the unimaginable comes and pops us in the nose. Faith is believing in the unseen, the unfelt, and the unheard. My faith in amazing things happening to me was very small. That night changed that feeling forever.

No comments: