Monday, March 24, 2008

the rest is still unwritten


The Hills


I wish I didn't find it so intriguing, but, I've watched every season and definitely giddily cuddled up on my couch to watch the Season premier this evening. What is it that makes it so addicting? So...enthralling and enticing?


I've realized I have a fascination with beautiful people. I wonder what it's like. I wonder what it's like to be naturally 105 pounds. I wonder what it's like to have flawless glowing skin and a toothy smile filled with perfectly designed pearly whites. I wonder what it's like to have perfect hair that looks, well, perfect all the time. The leading characters of the Hills effortlessly gleam with beauty and it fascinates me to no end. I can't help but watch and wonder what it would be like to be one of them, if only for a moment.


I'm enthralled by their lives. Their lives seem so glamorous. They wear ridiculously expensive designer clothing, jewelry, and shoes. They live in LA and attend parties and, pretty much right out of high school, had jobs at Teen Vogue as interns. They go to PARIS. They attend balls and spectacles of such glamour, I couldn't even dream it up. They have more money than one could ever ask for. They've never and probably will never want for anything.


The reality factor seems extremely low. Wherever they go, there's always that handsome man who falls in love with them...who simply can't take his eyes off of them. He invites her somewhere...somewhere ridiculous...perhaps a hilltop overlooking the stars, complete with fireworks. Or maybe for a motorcyle ride around Paris, France as her designer ballgown flows in the wind.


I would be lucky if a guy at Mcdonalds smiled as he gave me my french fries.


This all amuses me. I think there's a part of people that want that...or, at least, are so curious about the lifestyles of the rich and the beautiful. Why else would we live in such a celebrity obsessed world? Their lives seem unreal compared to the drab existence I seem to live from day to day.


I wake up with pimples.


They wake up with a natural glow.


I slip into payless flats.


They slip into Christian Dior heels.


My hair gets poofier as the day goes on.


They're hair gets more fabulous as the day goes on.


I read romance novels.


They live them.


Of course, it's always said that it's all meaningless. This life will fade away. All the parties, the clothes, the beauty, the men,...it'll all go away. The only thing that means anything in this world are people's souls. They're the only thing that will ever last. I know this. I believe this.


But, there's always that curiosity...the desire somewhere inside of me that longs to be that gorgeous girl who has everything...or, at least, seems to.


The one all the girls want to be and all the boys want to be with.


Even though it's probably turning my brain into mush, I will continue to watch the Hills and bask in all that is glitz and glamour.


Perhaps it's like a good book that steals you away from the mundane redundance of every day life. It's nice to escape into someone else's. Someone you can't relate to in the slightest, but, a part of you wishes you could.


However, in the end of the day, I wouldn't trade places with any of them. Who wants to know Spencer Pratt anyway?? Gah, he is so heinous, I fight the urge to scream and throw stuff at my television whenever I see his disgusting peach fuzzed face.


I love you all.


~Cookie

No comments: